Sunday, December 4, 2016

Tears for Fidel?

There are people who cry easily; I am not one of them.  My eyes do fill up without thought or effort at emotional, usually familial, moments and even at sad movies, but I 
cannot remember tear drops falling from my eyes no matter what the provocation -in the sense of something truly sad.

Today, tears surprisingly poured from my eyes after I signed the condolence book for Comandante Fidel Castro Ruz at the Cuban Mission in New York. Poured out and dripped down. No sobs. No drama. Unexpected sadness caused copious water to flow from my eyes. 

Obviously, I was not crying for Fidel. The dead cannot feel our tears.
And, for me, I thought I was only passing sad about Fidel's death. As an avowed fidelista, my profound sadness came when this larger than life global humanitarian leader, my only living hero -- did I mention I was a fidelista?-- resigned finally from the presidency of Cuba several years ago.

I believe I cry because, without Fidel, I and the world no longer have someone we can wholeheartedly trust. There are, for me, no more living heroes. And this is very very sad.

The world is so much the less for his loss, and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment